August 30/31, 2008
Ipo Dam Tree Planting with the UP Mountaineers (UPM)
There are 3 raw water systems feeding water into Metro-Manila - Angat Dam, Ipo Dam and the La Mesa Dam. The Ipo Dam is a gravity concrete dam located about 7.5 kilometers downstream of the Angat Dam near its confluence with the Ipo River in Bulacan. While people from Manila are aware of the La Mesa Dam, many are unaware that the water feeding it comes from Ipo Dam. What's the big deal about Ipo? Without Ipo, we have no water in Metro-Manila...and we're screwing things up in Ipo.
Of the 6,600 hectares covered by the Ipo Dam watershed, 70% is now denuded. At the alarming rate of deforestation, Metro-Manila will be without clean water in 15 years. The reforestation of the denuded portions of Ipo Dam may take 20 years as it would require the planting of at least 1.5 million tree seedlings.
UP Mountaineers Initiative
The UP Mountaineers, as part of its commitment to environmental advocacies, launched Green is Good (GIG). It's a reforestation project headed by its indefatigable Environmental Committee head, Frederick Ochavo. Over the weekend, UPM (mems and 08 applicants), Watson Wyatt, Manila Water and a few individual volunteers, took to Ipo Dam to plant 450 seedlings. Through GIG, over 2245 endemic seedlings have been planted in the Ipo Dam watershed since it's involvement in March 2007.
The tree planting event was a great hands-on experience to better appreciate the compelling issues assaulting the embattled watershed. It underscored the urgency that lies behind the water flowing into our tap.
- Donating money or providing manpower support. Donation can be given to the Finance Commitee of UPM, Bernz Varona (cell: 0917-834-4425) or email Fredd at email@example.com
- Be an offiical watershed partner and adopt at least a hectare of land in Ipo that needs reforestation by signing an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) together with Manila Water, MWSS, DENR Region 3 and the municipality of Norzagaray just like what UPM did. Contact Cyndi Iblan of Manila Water at 926-7999 local 2047
*** some pictures lifted from above sites
- Watson Wyatt - 37 staff
- Maria Falcon, Rogel Almeda, Zariua Hipolito, Rhoda Santos, Charlene Tan and Joy Carpio
- Manila Water Company - 7 staff
- UPM 08 Applicants - 29 applicants
- UPM Members -
Dennis, Mark, Yce, Jeremy,
Wino, Jojo, Boy,
John Roddy Castillo
(May 14, 2013) Hi :) I would like to ask kung pano po mag-volunteer sa tree planting at Ipo Dam? Thanks.
"pano po mag-volunteer sa tree planting at Ipo Dam?" -- John Roddy Castillo
(May 18, 2013) Best to send a private message to "UP Mountaineers" through its Facebook account.
»» next story: La Cosa Nostra UPM08 Party
»» next Mountaineering story: Sagada Cave Connection
»» back to Mountaineering
»» back to Homepage