Mar 16, 2009
Tinago Falls of Iligan City
This is perhaps the longest day trip I ever made for a waterfall. From Camiguin, I took the ferry to the mainland, then bus to Cagayan de Oro, then another bus to Iligan City, then the habal-habal ride to Tinago Falls. I don't know how long it took me, but I was just glad to have made it.
City of Majestic Waterfalls
Yes, this is what they call Iligan City in Lanao del Norte. Iligan boasts of having ¯20 waterfalls including the tallest falls in the country, Maria Christina Falls. The name Iligan is originally a Higaonon word meaning fortress of defense as it protected its inhabitants from frequent raids by pirates and hostile Mindanao tribes.
Tinago is a Pilipino term meaning hidden. Not surprising. It takes about 300 steps down a steep ravine to get to the falls. Argued as more beautiful than the Maria Christina Falls, the water cascades 73 meters into a huge lagoon that goes down 30m deep. Yes, it's deep and cold...and actually scary to swim specially as you get closer to the drop zone where the water starts pounding on the plunge pool (no, I didn't get that close). The falls is surrounded by a stunningly beautiful natural landscape. It's certainly worth a visit if not for that reason alone.
- Bathing with the Carabaos at Hagnaon Spring, Camotes Islands Feb 28, 2017
- Taking a Dip at Capasanan Spring, Camotes Islands Feb 28, 2017
- Exploring Tudela and Busay Falls, Camotes Islands Feb 21, 2017
- In Search of Guiwanon Cold Spring Jan 12, 2017
- Hurom-Hurom Cold Springs Immersion Dec 11, 2016
- Dipping at Bungan-Bungan Spring in Libertad Dec 9, 2016
- Exploring Malumpati Spring of Pandan Dec 4-6, 2016
- Visiting Igpasungaw Waterfalls Dec 3-4, 2016
- Exploring Bugtong Bato Waterfalls, Tibiao Nov 24, 2016
- Splashing at Magkawas Falls in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur May 16, 2013
- Visiting Lubcon Falls, Surigao del Sur May 13, 2013
- Visiting Maria Cristina Falls, Iligan Apr 24, 2013
- Exploring Santander, Samboan and Badian, Cebu (Aguinid Falls and Kawasan Falls) Oct 30-31, 2011
- Pulangbato Falls and Hot Spring Jul 16, 2011
- Splashing in Pulangbato Falls with Cuernos de Negros Jun 5, 2011
- Hike to the Japanese Shrine and Casaroro Falls Apr 25, 2010
- Tinago Falls of Iligan City Mar 16, 2009
- Camiguin (Katibawasan Waterfalls) Mar 9 - 14, 2009
- Hike to Bomod-ok Falls November 3, 2006
(Aug 14, 2009) i saw your pictures of tinago falls. so beautiful! which island is it on?
(Jul 31, 2009) kauna-unahang falls na nakita ko....the best talaga to! may mini zoo pa ba sa taas?
(Jul 30, 2009) Very, very pretty. I want to go here and swim in the lagoon :)
»» next story: Red Pill Moment
»» next traveling story: Cagsawa Ruins of Daraga
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage