Mar 14, 2016
Pond Picnic with the Monastics
Location: Thai Plum Village
174,176 Ban Sra Nam Sai, Moo 7, Tambon Pongtalong, Pak Chong (district), Nakhon Ratchasima (province), Thailand
Unbeknownst to me, the Monday Lazy Day picnic was a special permission granted to the monastics to go for a picnic together (nuns and monks) as an English Class picnic. Had I known that at the outset, I would have been mindful about their English...like making more fun games out of it. Carrying the watermelon if you utter Vietnamese was fun though.
Child for a Day
Normally, we see monastics in a solemn almost saintly-like demeanor. But here at the picnic, I saw these monastics play and run around like kids with wide smiles and open laughter. I was reminded of Cat Steven's song, "Child for a Day".
I was child, who lived for today
My eyes full of sunshine, my heart full of smile
I was a child for a day
We were the children, who sang in the morning
We were the children, who laughed at the sun
Who listened to those, who spoke with their wisdom
We are the ones we would say
Leaf of One Tree
We formed into a circle and took turns reflecting. Later, we all came out in a song, "We are the leaves of One Tree". It was a very innocent moment reminding all of us about our connectedness with one another.
As adults, we forget that we were once kids. We lost our innocence as we hurried to raise a family, meet deadlines, compromise with our values and pay off the mortgage. Today, all that was put on hold as we once again became children...who laughed and smiled at the sun.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Next stop: Goodbye Thai Plum Village
Thai Plum Village International Practice Centrewith direction coming from Bangkok
GPS waypoint: 14°33'25.4"N 101°31'45.0"E
174,176 Ban Sra Nam Sai, Moo 7, Tambon Pongtalong, Pak Chong District, NakornRatchasima, Thailand
Thai Plum Village International Practice CentreLocation: 174,176 Ban Sra Nam Sai, Moo 7, Tambon Pongtalong, Pak Chong District, NakornRatchasima, Thailand
Blogs on Thai Plum Village
- Goodbye Thai Plum Village Mar 20, 2016
- Yoga at Thai Plum Village Mar 19, 2016
- Pond Picnic with the Monastics Mar 14, 2016
- Sentence Expansion Mar 12, 2016
- Alms Round of the Thai Plum Village Monastics Mar 10, 2016
- First Day of Teaching English at Thai Plum Village Mar 8, 2016
- Cyber Monk Redefined Mar 6, 2016
- Thai Plum Village, Day 6: Plum Village and Vipassana Mar 2, 2016
- Thai Plum Village, Day 5: Visa Snag Mar 1, 2016
- Plum Village, Day 4: Picnic with the Monastics on Lazy Monday Feb 29, 2016
- Plum Village, Day 2-3: Getting Settled Feb 27-28, 2016
- Plum Village, Day 1: Arrival Feb 26, 2016
How to Get to Plum Village from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi AirportYou are encouraged to arrive at the Center Friday afternoon between 2-4 pm
- Mo Chit North Eastern Bus Terminal - Plum Village by VAN
the trip all the way to Plum Village, Pak Chong costs Baht 500 and takes 3.5 to 4 hours. Take the 11am or 12 noon van to ensure you arrive at the center before 4pm.
How to Get to Pak Chong (Proper) from Bangkok by trainignore this if you plan to go to Plum Village. Take the direction above instead
- If you are arriving Bangkok and would like to proceed directly to Pak Chong without spending a night in Bangkok, best to take a plane that will land in Don Mueang Airport in time for the #71 Train (Bangkok to Si Sa Ket) to stop at the MRT Train Station, Bang Sue, which is only a short walk from the airport. Train schedule at Bang Sue Station: Fri 10:27am, arriving Pak Chong 1:30pm. Express aircon car (Baht 289), non aircon (Baht 198). Duration is 3 hours, stopping right in the heart of Pak Chong. From Pak Chong.
You can also take the train from the main terminal near the center of Bangkok at the MRT Station, Hua Lampong Railway Station. Departure, Friday 10:00am.
Plum Village Cost Index(US$1 = Thailand Baht 35.77 = Php 47.52 as of Feb 28, 2016)
- Baht 500 van from Victory Monument to Plum Village
- Baht 289 Express train from Bang Sue MRT Station (Bangkok) to Pak Chong Train Station, aircon (non aircon, Baht 189)
- Baht 500 taxi from Pak Chong to Plum Village (call this taxi number, Mr. Khun Paisan: 085 772.4519 for the trip to Plum Village)
Things to bring if staying overnight
- mosquito repellent
- not a requirement, but it helps if you bring clothing in the dark brown color in order to blend-in
»» next Traveling story: Goodbye Thai Plum Village
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | ALL BLOGS