April 1, 2018
Beach Fun at Teluk Cempedak
Location: Teluk Cempedak, Kuantan (city), Pahang (state), Malaysia
Getting to Teluk Cempedak by the #200 Rapid Kuantan bus from Kuantan town center was cheap (MYR2), short (37 mins) and painless. For that alone, it's worth the trip.
Restos and Souvenir Shops
Before you even get to the beach, you'll see popular brands like McDonald's, Starbucks Coffee, and mostly local eating establishments. No need to bring food - there are lots of eating places.
The beach itself is wide with the last 20 feet on steeper decline towards the water. The sand is whitish and fine. It was a Sunday so the city crowd was there. Still, there was more than enough room for everyone.
An interesting feature of the beach is the walkway connecting to the other beach, over big boulders. The walkway is about 100 meters offering a great view of the main beach and the ocean.
Reaching the other beach, it was mostly empty - not much people and no commercial establishment. But it was equally as wide and about 50 meters long, with the same kind of sand. A few boulders were on the shore making for a nice chillout sit.
The monkeys rule here and they can get pretty aggressive with people who carry food with them. One monkey jumped on my backpack looking for food. When I shooed it away, it got wild and angry. It came to a stand-off until I got more aggressive - then it stood down.
The only thing that took away from the experience was the presence of garbage on the beach, mostly single-use lastic wrappers thrown away by visitors. To say it ends up in the sea is an understatement. It ends up in the bellies of big fish and small fish just get trapped in them. I hope the authorities do something about it.
If you are already in Kuantan, a visit to Teluk Cempedak is well worth the time and trouble - it's only 37 mins away and the bus takes you right up the beach. The beach itself is worth the effort - white sand, long walks, boulders, wild monkeys, restaurants and stilted walkway.
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
How to get to Teluk Cempedak from Kuantan town center
- go to the Hentian Bandar bus terminal and board the #200 bus for Teluk Cempedak (MYR2, 37 minutes, service until 11pm, trip every 20-30 mins)
- get off at the last bus stop - Teluk Cempedak. You are already on the beach.
Next stop: Visiting the Pahang Art Museum
Kuantan (city), Pahang (state), Malaysia
Travel Tips for Kuantan
How to get to Kuantan from Kuala Lumpur
- Hentian Bandar station is the main local bus hub of Kuantan with buses taking you to essential destinations in Kuantan, MR 2.00
How to get to KLIA2 Airport from Kuantan
Travel Info for Malaysia
- Malaysia is a Muslim country so try to be sensitive about their customs and traditions
- People drive on the right hand side of the road
- Main city roads are wide with about 4 lanes - very difficult for a pedestrian to walk across, if there is no overhead pedestrian crossing or a pedestrian stop light
- nearly all Malaysian males smoke in public places even in non air-conditioned restaurants
- Malaysian Ringit (MYR) is about 4x a US Dollar ($). MYR 4 = US$1
Malaysia Blogs by TheLoneRider
- Cool Climate of Cameron Highlands June 19-23, 2016
- Overnight in Kluang, Malaysia Aug 13-14, 2016
- Funky Flow Yoga with Lora Lorenzo at YogaOneThatIWant Studios July 27, 2016
- Deja Vu Kuala Lumpur with Karine July 21-26, 2016
- Layover in Kuala Lumpur June 22, 2016
- The Kuala Lumpur Experience Jan 21 - Feb 20, 2015
- Police Harassment in Kuala Lumpur Feb 17, 2015
- Visiting Batu Caves of Kuala Lumpur Feb 18, 2015
- Walking Tour of China Town Feb 5, 2015
- Breaking New Ground in Kuala Lumpur Jan 21, 2015
- Goodbye and Thank You Kuantan Apr 13, 2018
- Visiting the Masjid Sultan Ahmad Shah Mosque Apr 10, 2018
- Visiting the Pahang Art Museum Apr 3, 2018
- Beach Fun at Teluk Cempedak April 1, 2018
- Visiting the Kuantan Mini Zoo April 1, 2018
- High Intensity Interval Training Apr 1, 2018
- Fitness in Kuantan Mar 29, 2018
- Exploring Kuantan, Malaysia Mar 25-, 2018
- Hanging-Out in Kuantan with the Guangzhou 5 Mar 25-26, 2018
- Satipatthana Sutta Vipassana Mar 16-25, 2018
- The 24-Hr Trip from Loboc (Philippines) to Gambang (Malaysia) Mar 15-16, 2018
- A First-Timer in Malacca July 28-Aug 8, 2016
- Art Scene of Malacca August 6, 2016
- The River Charm of Malacca August 5, 2016
- About Malacca July 28, 2016
- Penang (Malaysia) Immersion May 27-Jun 19, 2016
- Exploring the Emergent Cafe Culture of Penang Jun 18, 2016
- Encounters with the Guru-Types of Penang Jun 17, 2016
- Overnight Camping at Turtle Beach Jun 10, 2016
- Yoga, Pranayama and Meditation in Penang Jun 10, 2016
- Daytrip to Batu Ferringhi Jun 9, 2016
- Savouring the Food of Penang May 27 - Jun 6, 2016
- Surreal Glow-in-the-Dark 3D World at Dark Mansion June 3, 2016
- The Animated Street Art of Penang Jun 3, 2016
- Exploring the Lush Greenery of Botanic Gardens May 29, 2016
- Up up and Away to Penang Hill May 28, 2016
- About Penang May 27, 2016
»» next story: Visiting the Pahang Art Museum
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS