Date > 2017 > Jun
Activity > Freediving
June 30, 2017
Freediving Canawa Cold Spring of Candijay, Bohol
Entrance Fee: P20/pax
Hours: 7:30am - 5:00pm
Location : Canawa Cold Spring, Candijay (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
Rough Mountain Road
After Can-umantad Falls, we could have gone back, but Mr. Fred of Candijay Tourism, went the extra mile by taking us to Canawa Cold Spring. It would seem nearby, but the ordeal of getting there around the rugged circumferential mountain road was no mean feat. At one point, we all had to go to the back of the pick-up to add traction to enable it to go up the steep rocky incline.
Canawa Cold Spring
The place is isolated from the rest of the world if not for the connecting road. I could imagine this to be a secret oasis deep within the wilderness even 2 decades ago. To have stumbled upon this must have felt like Indiana Jones. This is the stuff guys at National Geographic would die to discover!
There was a heavy downpour the night before. The water looked murky. Run-offs from the dirt wall surrounding the spring must have eroded into the water. With my mask, I attempted to go to the middle and make a dive. But visibility was practically zero. It was spooky and useless to make further attempts.
I heard from a few sources that a group of German divers attempted to reach the bottom of the spring but to no avail. On the way down, they were obstructed by submerged logs. And beyond the logs was murky with lots of sediment that easily got disturbed. They abandoned the dive without determining the depth of the spring.
We didn't stay long. I wonder how deep this spring goes. And also, is the water still potable? I got mixed answers. I am still fascinated by this spring. When the water becomes clear, I hope I could attempt another freedive.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Bohol Google Map
- Danao Adventure Park - zip lining, cable car ride, caving, river rides/trekking, off-road buggy ride, root climbing, rappelling and ultra-glide rides
- Alona Beach - hub for tourists with hotels, resorts, restos, bars and dive shops
- Chocolate Hills - hills side-by-side shaped like giant Kisses chocolate
- Tarsier - pocket-sized marsupia looking like a monkey
- Balicasag Island - one of the best dive spots in the Philippines
- Loboc River - river cruise on a boat
- Anda Beach - fine white sand beach with resorts, restos and cottages, 3 hours by bus from Tagbilaran
- Cabagnow Cave Pool - brackish water pool about 5ft deep inside a limestone opening on the ground, 8 feet deep, P50
- Lamanok Island - walk on a 100m bamboo bridge on stilts to a resto area to take a boat tour to caves and nearly attractions, P300
- Combento Cave Pool - cave pool with underwater cave system, P20
- Can-umantad Falls - long narrow drop until it hits a bulbous mound spreading it into a a curtain-like water canopy and down into a splash pool
- Canawa Cold Spring - deep refreshing cold spring with developed pool area
- Firefly Tour - evening boat ride into the river to watch fireflies
- Fox & The Firefly Cottages - SUP paddle boarding, luxury riverside native cottages, mountain bike tours, SUP yoga
Baranggay Valladolid, Loboc, Bohol
- Bohol Tropics Resort - seafront location, manicured surroundings, swimming pool, resto/bar
0133 Graham Avenue, Brgy. Cogon, Tagbilaran, Bohol 6300
- Oasis Resort - Alona Beach location, dive center, resto / bar
Alona Beach, Panglao, Bohol
- Jing Yoga - health & well being through yoga
The Courtyard - Airport Road fronting the church
Bohol Meditation and Yoga Center - 2nd Floor Lim Magtajas Bldg. CPG Avenue
Bohol Travel Info/Tips
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
Carlos P. Garcia Island
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS