Jan 10-12, 2017
Exploring Bogo City, Cebu
GPS waypoint: 11°03'05.9"N 124°00'12.7"E
Location: Bogo City, Cebu (province), Philippines
Leaving Bantayan Island
I had to leave Bantayan Island as soon as the ferry resumed operations or risk being stranded again due to Typhoon Auring. Malapascua was no longer appealing, given the weather. At this point, I wasn't looking for a beach destination anymore - more like a little city with a movie house. I'll just watch movies as the rain pours. But where to go? From the map, I saw a blip, not too far away from the San Remigio mainland port was Bogo City. Not knowing what's there, I set my sight to it.
My arrival was fraught with difficulties. I was lugging my heavy and bulky backpack in the middle of town with no place to stay yet while the rain poured. Finding Gaisano Mall, I checked-in my backpack. This freed me to look for a place to stay. I visited the 4 major pension houses but no decision makers. Fortunately, I discovered an obscure lodging for P150/night - Pumar Lodging House. It wasn't much, but it wasn't a dump either. That was good enough for me.
rain and beach...they don't go well together
While roaming around town in the evening, I came upon an array of alfresco barbeque places by the dock. They serve bbq pork, chicken and grilled seafood. Price is very reasonable. I ordered grilled squid, grilled fish and a beer - P145 ($3)! This is perhaps the best place in town to have dinner.
Bogo has a sizeable wet market. I found Titan Triggerfish being sold together with other colorful reef fishes. It's heart breaking that these fishes that used to be ignored by fishermen are now fair game. The Titan is the scourge of the reef and I had even been attacked by it. Still, I would much rather see it in the reef than on the dinner table. Moreover, the Titan has toxins (Gambierdiscus toxicus) that render it inedible. I would not encourage its consumption.
There used to be 2 popular beach resorts close to town - Nailon Beach Resort and Hisoler Beach Resort. Unfortunately, Nailon Resort was not able to recover after the onslaught of Typhoon Yolanda (Typhoon Haiyan) in 2013. I stopped by Hisoler Resort even on a rainy day. It had a good size ground with a pool, elevation for a better view, concrete beach cabanas and protected swim area.
After 2 nights, it was time to go. I wasn't expecting much in Bogo but still glad I stopped by. Every coastal town has its own charm. For Bogo, it has its slow unhurried pace, the seaside grill places and its isolated beach resorts. The one tourist attraction of Bogo is perhaps the Capitancillo Islet - a dive spot with a lighthouse. However, in this weather, still on the tail-end of Typhoon Auring, it was best to simply stay on land.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Next stop: Guiwanon Spring, Tabogon, Cebu
Bogo City, Cebu, Philippines
Bogo FYI / Tips
- Bogo is not a tourist destination but it is passed through by travelers commuting from Cebu City to either Bantayan Island or Malapascua Island
- there is a Gaisano Mall but no movie house
How to Get to Bogo City from Bantayan Island
- take the Island Ferry from Santa Fe Port in Bantayan Island going to Hagnayan Port (San Remigio, Cebu Mainland), P170/pax, less than 2 hours
- at Hagnayan Port, take a tricycle together with other passengers all the way to Bogo, P25/pax, 30 min
Things to do, Places to go in Bogo
- Capitancillo Islet - coral island off the east coast of Bogo, scuba diving site and a lighthouse
- Miraculous Medal Shrine - in La Paz
- Tugbungan Mangrove Eco-Farm
- Barangay Odlot Parish Church
- Hanging Bridge - Tabogon
- Heritage House - built in 1830
Bogo Cost Index(US$1 = Php 49.56 as of Jan 10, 2017)
- PHP 8 min payment for tricycle
- PHP 25 tricycle from Hagnaya Port to Bogo
- PHP 150/night cheapest lodging in Bogo at Pumar Lodge
- PHP 350/night basic fan room at Northome Lodge
- PHP 150 vegetarian pizza at Capitancillo Resto
- PHP 65 brewed coffee at Urban Cafe
Reader Comments:Katia Perez
(Jan 14, 2017) Non-stop traveller! All the best for you and your adventures this year!
(Jan 14, 2017) I'll be in Cebu tomorrow up to the 18th!
(Jan 13, 2017) This is different from your Burner experience! Ive been wanting to go 4ever!
»» next Traveling story: In Search of Guiwanon Cold Spring
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | ALL BLOGS