Apr 22, 2014
Burning Man on PechaKucha* Night at GILT, Cebu
Location: Gilt (Artisan Lounge), Crossroads Arcade, Cebu City, Cebu (province), Philippines
2nd PechaKucha Night
The first and latest Pecha Kucha offering in Cebu at GILT last month was a success. It was something fresh, engaging and conducive to community gathering of like-minded denizens. It begged to be a monthly main stay. For its 2nd offering, I got to be a presentor.
New and familiar faces shaping up my peoplescape
What to present about?
There were many things that came to mind, all of them worthy of a Pecha Kucha presentation - a nomadic life as a renunciate (no home, no property, no money, etc.), enchanting places (few people know about) I came upon in my travels, magnificent lives I've met, the 'unseen hand' that seems to blaze a path for me, etc. But of all these, one life-transforming event looms high over everything else - Burning Man.
It was great being at GILT again - a refreshing segue from my web/yoga routine. Reassuringly, the 'usual suspects' were there - Jay hosting the event, Paola getting eveything together, the presentors with their friends (and me getting to meet them), peeps from the first Pecha Kucha, etc. Always a pleasant surprise seeing familiar faces you didn't expect to see as well.
The biggest surprise came from Jay. In our passing chat, he said he also went to the Burn - my immediate thought bubble was, "why didn't you tell me much earlier?" I glowed like a lightbulb - I miss the magic of the Burn and I miss the vibe of a Burner. "Give me a hug, Dude" was all I could say. We talked some more - interesting fellow. Ah...and this reminds me, I promised to give him a select collection of blues music. He'll turn Thursday into a Blues Night. Whoa! I'll be a GILT denizen when that happens.
I bumped into artist/photographer, Jon Unson, as well and met his two Couch Surfer guests (I'm also a member). He later invited to his studio where for the first time, I got to see his shire - a ground-level loft-style warehouse with an open concept. He talked about his work, his thinking, his hobbies, his inspirations, etc. I like listening to artists...specially if they come bundled with their charming eccentricity. Thanks for sharing, Jon.
I got to talk to a number of interesting people, whose names I already forgot :( But it was good bonding while it lasted. I went to Burning Man alone and later came out of it with 30,000 best friends. I came to GILT alone and came away with looming connections waiting to be continued. Come to think of it, I don't have to go all the way to Nevada again to experience the magic of the Burn. The Burn is alive and kicking in every event, every person I meet and in every destination I find myself into. I just need to remind myself it's there.
* PechaKucha is a presentation format. The presentor narrates while a set of 20 slides, displayed in 20 second intervals, are played in the backdrop. In short, the presentor has 6.5 minutes to make a presentation. Nobody hogs the mic.
The first 20 thumbnails represent my slide presentation and the accompanying narrative.
(Apr 24, 2014) It was a beautiful talk. Thanks for sharing.
(Apr 24, 2014) Gigit blogged about his experience as a PechaKucha presenter. He did such a great job sharing about Burning Man that a lot of people want to do it too!
Kenjie De Guzman
(Apr 24, 2014) great content. Burning man baby.
(Apr 22, 2014) nabasa ko yung Burning Man mo na article last last year Git. Bucket list ko yan. Puhon puhon.. hehe
(Apr 22, 2014) Wish I could be there!
(Apr 22, 2014) oh wow!!!!
Cebu City, Philippines
Tops - hilltop offering panoramic view of the city
Taoist Temple - temple on a hillslope in Lahug with panoramic view of the city
- Hostel Seven Cebu - newly opened, resto/bar, central location, solo/group travellers
Juana Osmeña Street, Cebu City
- S Hotel & Residences - new hotel, luxury rooms, central location
827 M. Velez corner Andres Abellana St.
resto / cafe / bar
- Fujinoya - new and refreshing twists to Western style desserts using Japanese techniques
Wilson St., Lahug, Cebu City - tel. 888.6075
- Bad Boys Wingz - Buffalo Wings, unique versions of sauces! Great service, accommodating staff, bad boys vibe
Kasambagan, Cebu City | (032) 415 4811
- Love Yoga World - yoga studio
11/fl, Skyrise 2 Tower, IT Park, Lahug, Cebu City
- Yoga Now - first Yoga and Wellness studio in Mactan offering daily Yoga Classes
at The Yacht Club Mactan
- Cebu Mountain Bike Adventure - MTB tours, bike sales and repairs. Bed and Breakfast + Resto Cafe + wifi
1298-b V.Rama Ave, Guadalupe, Cebu City | 0942.959.7451
- Camotes Islands - caves, beaches
- Cebu City - rich in culture and history, 2nd largest city in the Philippines
- Moalboal - amazing coral reef system, sardine bowl, deep drop-off for freediving
- Oslob - Butanding (whale shark) watching
- Bantayan Island - long stretch of fine white sand beach, Virgin Island for snorkeling
- Malapascua Island - divers' paradise for seeing the rare Thresher Shark
- Cantabaco Cave - Toledo
- Barile Waterfalls - Barile
- Whale Shark Tour - Oslob
- Carcar - chicharon and lechon in public market
»» next story: i-Yoga with Ayee Domingo at Dragonfly Yoga Studio
»» next Counter Culture story: Secret Sunrise Interactive Dance
»» back to Counter Culture
»» back to Homepage