Date > 2017 > Oct
Activity > Lucid Thoughts
Oct 23, 2017
Living Parallel Lives
In Quantum Mechanics, there is a popular theory of a Multiverse - that we do not exist in one universe but a multiverse where an infinite possibilities of our lives simultaneously happen including lives about choices we did not make. Wanted to be an artist but your parents pressured you to take up law? A Multiverse allows you to live that life as an artist in a parallel universe simultaneously co-existing with your life as a lawyer in your default universe. Radical! As in BAD-ASS radical! You would think it's an LSD hallucination, but there is actually empirical data supporting such hypothesis - in the realm of Theoretical Physics.
Let's simplify this Multiverse into bite-size chunks of reality as we know it. What if you experience a life that you previously passed off as a 'could have been' or a 'should have been'? We face many choices in life, but only one choice to live out. But what if we all live them out as parallel lives? To a very limited extent, I believe I do, but in succession, not parallel.
With my life on the open road, drifting from one place to another sometimes every few days or so, I've come to a point where I decided to stay put in a new place for 30 days before I move on again. This way, I won't have to be in a constant state of packing and unpacking. That was the intent. But an unexpected realization came up.
Different Life in every Place
I'm still the same guy with the same set of marketable skills, doing essentially the same thing to keep me afloat. You would think my life in every place would be similar. But no, it's not. Some lives are radically different from another. It's like having a totally different life I would not get to experience had I not traveled. And these 30-day mini-life in succession is my glimpse into living parallel lives.
- Penang (Malaysia) - Penang's food offering was over-the-top. I lived and breathed food. I'd finish my meal hoping I'd be hungry soon enough to eat the next meal that took my fancy. That's right, 23 days of just exploring and savoring the food possibilities of Penang.
- Ubud (Indonesia) - I was practically attending a yoga class everyday from a different teacher in a different studio - sometimes, I would attend 2 in a day. It wasn't much of anything else but yoga, meditation and spiritual cleansing.
- Singapore - for 30 days, I was the urban explorer, visiting and exploring one neighborhood to the next, always in awe of new discoveries and amazed by their no-nonsense culture.
The same holds true even in the local setting here in Bohol.
- Panglao - Panglao was a beach life of scuba diving, snorkeling and free-diving. I dived Balicasag and Tongo Point, I reached 18m on my freedive and snorkeled the reef.
- Tagbilaran - Tagbilaran was an immersion into University of Bohol's academe. I judged a student debate, held a talk on my brand of philosophy-spirituality and even conducted a yoga class for 60+ millennials.
- Loboc - Loboc took me back on the saddle. I was riding hard, riding fast, riding downhill, doing epic rides, riding in the rain, etc. Loboc is screaming mountain biking...and I'm only on my 2nd week here.
Given what I've experienced, I believe a place is like a person. It has its own unique personality and its own unique way of interacting with you. By traveling and staying put for 30 days, I get to experience that uniqueness. It answers a lingering question, "What would my life be if I were in Tagbilaran? or Panglao? or Loboc?" No, I'm not a photon that can exist in 2 places at the same time, so I can only approximate the parallel life...in succession. This is as close as I get to experience the simultaneous lives that's in the cards for me.
Of course all these happen because I remain open to possibilities. As a general rule, I never say No to an invite or an opportunity or to a feeling of excitement about anything. This is how life talks to me - by offering a choice of the Blue Pill or the Red Pill. There is no wrong choice. It's simply a choice of how much of life are you willing to take on.
Practical application: Is this just another story? Not really. I see profound ramification that can be applied to day-to-day life. Stuck in a dead-end job you despise? Leave in search of other opportunities. Stuck in a co-dependent relationship? Again, leave and take your chance 'out-there' - no guarantees, but only one way to find out what's out there for you. By clearing this clutter, you allow new space into your existence to manifest the alternative universe.
It's not only about moving from one place to the next. It's about moving on if the current state-of-being isn't doing it for you - a job, a relationship, a place, a hobby, etc. It's not your fault! I'm sure this is already cliche, but who really takes that chance?
As a word of encouragement, in the many years I've been doing this, I have never found the process to be flawed. I always find myself in the right place at the right time where my desires are manifested. Why? Misery or dysfunctionality is the universe telling you that you need to move on. A properly lived life should be one of bliss and abundance - not getting stuck into something you don't desire.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
(Oct 23, 2017) ...always a good read! 🙂
The Burden of Gift Giving(Dec 12, 2017) With the holidays just around the corner, it's gift-giving season once again. We give gifts to those we hold dear, to those who expect it, to those we owe or to those gatherings where it's expected of us. This conjures vivid memories of gift-giving episodes that reflect the warped convention that was molded and spawned by this practice....more »»
»» next story: Exploring Hinagdanan Cave
»» next Lucid Thoughts story: The Burden of Gift Giving
»» back to Lucid Thoughts
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS