Mawlamyine used to be the capital of Burma during the British colonial rule. This was the setting of George Orwell's classic 1934 book, Burmese Days, depicting his life and times. Many colonial buildings still survive that give a nostalgic look at Mawlamyine's British legacy.
Mawlamyine Blogs by TheLoneRider
Exploring Mawlamyine, Myanmar(Jan 29-31, 2020) After 4 days in Hpa-an, it was time to pack-up again and venture out. When I heard that there is a pleasant boat ride from Hpa-an to Mawlamyine, my next destination was penciled-in. What's in Mawlamyine? I don't know, but I am giving it 4 days to find out.....more »»
Mawlamyine FYI / Travel Tips
- Hpa-an to Mawlamyine - departure 1:30pm, arrival 5:00pm, 3.5 hours, MMK 10k including car pick-up from hotel
- Hpa-an to Mawlamyine - by BUS, MMK 1200k, disembarking on every bridge crossing
- Yangon to Mawlamyine - Man Dalar Minn Express is also a popular and reputable bus company
- Yangon to Mawlamyine - PTT bus (War Dan St., 01-221479, 01-221472, 01-212131), 7 hours, special seating, MMK 8000, departure 8pm and 9pm, arrival 3am and 4am respectively.
- Mawlamyine to Yangon - Mawlamyine to Yangon is MMK10k, departing 9pm and 10pm, and arriving Yangon at 4am and 5am respectively. $16 USD for upper class seats at Mawlamyine train station counter #7
- Yangon to Mawlamyine - 2 trips daily, depart 6:00 am (two stops at Thaton and Kyaitiyo), arrive 3:30 pm (9.5 hours), next service leaving Yangon 7:15 am, arriving Mawlamyine at 6:30 pm.
- Mawlamyine to Yangon - 2 trips daily, depart 6:00 am (two stops at Thaton and Kyaitiyo), arrive 3:45 pm (9.75 hours), next service leaving Yangon 10:00 am, arriving Mawlamyine at 8:00 pm (10 hours).
- motor cycle commute - pay only MMK 500 for short distances
- motor cycle tours - I was quoted MMK 20,000 for half-day tour covering 3 attractions
MOTORBIKE WITHIN MAWLAMYINE
- Pa-Auk Tawya Meditation Centre - Theravada Buddhist monastery practicing both Samatha (tranquility) and Vipassana (insight) meditation. Take bus bound for Mudon, ask the driver to let you off at Pa-Auk Tawya (the bus goes right past the main gate of the monastery on the way to Mudon)
Tel (95) 57-27853 / (95) 57-27548 | Email: email@example.com
- Zeigyi (Central Market) -
- Gaungsaekune Sandawshin Pagoda -
- Night Market -
- Kyeik Tha Lan Pagoda -
- Kyaik Thoke Pagoda -
- Win Sein Taw Ya - Reclining Buddha -
- Death Railway Museum -
- Bilu Island -
- Thanbyuzayat World War II Cemetery -
Mawlamyine Cost Index
- As a general rule, local food much like its neighbors Hpa-an and Myawaddy, is inexpensive in Mawlamyine. It is delicious, safe (I never had a tummy issue with any of its street food) and all over the place. You can get a decent local noodle meal for MMK 500 ($0.30).
USEFUL INFORMATION(as of Jan 2020)
Myanmar FYI / Travel Tips
- accommodation - not all destinations in Myanmar can accommodate foreign travelers. Walk-in hotel guests could be refused. Better make an online booking, or make sure the hotel you wish to stay, at is listed in the online booking sites (Agoda, Booking.com, etc.)
- local time - adjust time 30 mins behind from Thailand (if arriving from Thailand)
- Burmese people - Burmese people are new to what's happening to Myanmar - being opened-up to the rest of the world. They remain friendly, helpful and curious. Tourism being new, the culture is not yet corrupted by it.
General Travel Tips
- avoiding scams - as a general rule, I ignore the touts or anyone I don't know who call out to me. The calling comes in many forms - "Hi! Where are you from?", "Excuse me! Excuse me!", "Where are you going?". I don't look them in the eye and I remain non-verbal with them. If you reply to them, you just gave them an 'in' to hound you. In order not to look rude, I smile and wave the 'not interested' hand to them, without looking at them.
- power bank - hand-carry your power bank. Do not check it in. You can be called in when you are already inside the plane to go all the way to the loading dock so you can personally remove the power bank...and chances are, you'll have to surrender it to them. And you might delay the plane departure!
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS