Jul 1, 2017
Roadtrip from Candijay to Ubay
Location : Candijay-Mabini-Ubay
I was on my way out of Candijay to Ubay when I received a text from Kins, "I am fascinated by Mabini but few tourists go there". I got curious and randomly asked a local if he knew anything about Mabini. His name is Rey Rapatalo who happened to hail from Mabini. We got into a more engaging conversation about many things while I was having breakfast at the Rapatalo's Restaurant - yes, he owns it. At some point, he said he wanted to be out of his house anyway and offered to take me to Mabini. It was very generous of him. So we headed out in his sporty SUV!
He did mention that the only attraction in Mabini is the disappearing sandbar, which appears only during low tide. It would however, require a boat ride to experience it. I didn't want to impose on my host and I wasn't that excited to take a boat ride to see a sandbar - I've seen too many already. He took me to his house where I met members of his family. We went to the town port where he pointed out a few areas that were special to him. After a few more turns around town, we headed back.
All the Way to Ubay
I asked to be dropped-off the main street to catch the bus to Ubay. To my surprise, Rey said he'll drive me all the way to Ubay! What??? Ubay is a good 30 kms away! What a guy! This gave us an extended conversation. Rey has many interesting stories.
First stopover was the (municipality) of Alicia for some good 'ol fashioned carinderia yummy eats! Even in Alicia, people recognized him and accorded him a deferential treatment. Who is this guy? Shortly after, we headed straight for Ubay where he dropped me off one of the hotels.
It was short and magical - like a lot of my adventures. This reminds me of Pak Chong, Thailand where a complete stranger drove me all the way to the next town! Rey was a complete stranger one moment, then I was inside his SUV for a tour to the other town, after which he drives me all the way to Ubay. And then he was gone. We've become better than just acquainted in that half-day tour. Such generosity is rare, but yes, it still happens. When I travel, I meet the most fascinating, most interesting, most generous people. This trip validates all that. Thank you Rey!
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Next Traveling story:
Ubay Google Map
Ubay, Bohol, Philippines
- Camp Karis - area site used for camping, weddings, seminars, training, etc. specialize on christian camping ministry
- Ubay Green Park - former dump site turned into an eco-friendly park
- Henson Beach - public beach close to the port
- Sinandigan Boardwalk - do not go here, the boardwalk is neglected and rotting!
- Ubay Stock Farm - breeding farm for native pigs, native chickens, carabaos and other livestock
- Cambugsay Hills - also known as Malingin Dam, Mother Dam and Ilaya Reservoir. It's an irrigation dam with a park. The nearby hills are said to be healing
Ubay Travel Info / Tips
- Jewel's Nook is the only cafe in town - a/c, serving only espresso P50 but NO WIFI
- you can buy Bahalina (aged, decanted and alcoholic coconut sap) at the Public Market for P75/half gallon
- there are 2 stores serving good P10 sikwate (native chocolate drink) and P10 puto-maya at the Public Market...just ask around
- tricycle ride around the city is only P8/pax
- trisikad ride around the city is only P5/pax
- laundry is only P25/kilo, minimum of 3 kilos, for pick-up after 2 days
- Southern Buses at the Public Market leave Ubay for other parts of Bohol
- market day is Monday
- Ubay-ubay Festival is the town fiesta held every January 28-30
Ubay to Cebu City by boat (as of July 2017)
- M/V J&N Carrier - 10am Monday-Saturday, 12am Sunday
- M/V J&N Ferry - 10pm Sunday-Friday, no Saturday trip
Ubay to Leyte by boat (4-5 hours) (as of July 2017)
- Ubay to Bato
- M/V Lady of Smile (or Lady of Charity or Lady of Guadalupe) - 1pm daily
- MBCA Star Sirius (or Mama Mary or San Isidro 9) - 8:30am daily
- MBCA Neriboy Allen Rey (or Mama Mary Irvin or San Isidro 5 or San Isidro 6) - 10am daily
- Ubay to Hilongos - M/V Leopards Sea Runner or Leopards Adventurer 1, 9am daily
Ubay to Pitogo (Bohol) by boat (as of July 2017)
- MBCA Bobong B - 11am daily
- MBCA Bobong A - 4pm daily
»» next Traveling story:
2 Days in Ubay
»» back to Traveling
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS