Nov 2, 2017
Solo Ride to the Sikatuna Tree Park
Location : Sikatuna Tree Park, Sikatuna (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
Tarsier Corella: Closed
The plan was to re-visit the tarsier of Corella for an in-depth tour of tarsiers in the wild within its natural sanctuary. Riding solo this time, I braved the scorching midday sun wearing a shady wide straw hat (instead of a helmet) and pedaled the 14km rolling hills to Corella. As bad timing would have it, the place was closed!
Sikatuna Tree Park
Instead, I backtracked and ended up at the Sikatuna Tree Park, a popular attraction in Sikatuna. It has a green spacious campground with tree planting opportunities. There is steep climb on a dirt road leading to the DENR office overlooking the low landscape. The coast is not clear though with so many trees obstructing the view.
A few more single-track trails leading to viewpoints were clearly marked. They actually made for excellent mountain bike trails - single-track on a slope, technical enough with rocks, roots and twigs, and steep enough to be scary if riden at speed. I didn't get to the viewpoint though. When I had enough downhill run, I turned the bike around and rode it cautiously, feathering the brakes, careful not to lock-out the tires. No, I didn't hammer - it would have been reckless. I had no helmet and I was alone up there. It would have made for a great ride, but for some reason, I wasn't dialed-in either. I went through the motion just the same.
On the way back home, riding on the main road, I took on a racing pace, gauging how fast I can go and how long I can sustain it - pedaling hard on the downhills to create momentum for the transitioning climb. In no time, I was back home. Not exactly stoked but glad to have done my workout for the day.
Some rides are over-the-top great and some rides are mechanical pedal rotations. Either way, I can't lose - I got out there (instead of cocooning at home), giving my heart a good workout sustaining my aerobic threshold and at times reaching my VO2 max. Bottomline: no ride is a bad ride. If you're on the saddle, then it's always all good.
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
(Nov 6, 2017) Talagang believe na believe ako sa iyo Git. Ingat lang d2 pa ako sa Cebu
The Ride to Sinandigan Boardwalk and the Yamashita Treasure Hunt(Nov 18, 2017) So far, the most promising attraction I've heard of in Ubay is the Sinandigan Boardwalk - 3/4km of bamboo bridge on stilts across the mangroes that open up to the ocean. It's 10km away so it'll be a good saddle time for me as well.....more »»
Loboc Google Map
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol Travel Info/Tips
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
»» next story:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
»» next Traveling story: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
»» next story:
Stand-Up Paddle Yoga with Joan Christine
»» next Mountain Biking story: The Ride to Sinandigan Boardwalk and the Yamashita Treasure Hunt
»» back to Mountain Biking
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | ALL BLOGS