Oct 19, 2017
Savouring Villagio Pizza
5 stars (out of 5)
Hours: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Price Range: small P160, medium P200, large P290
Waiting Time: 15mins
Features: alfresco, small space, opens to street, open kitchen, street parking
Location : Villagio Pizza, Loboc (municipality), Bohol (province), Philippines
2 Good Things
I'm a pizza guy, so one of the surprises I had in Loboc is Villagio Pizza. It cooks pizza using a wood-fired oven and it serves cold Cerveza Negra - 2 things that don't happen too often in big cities, let alone in a small (municipality).
This pizza joint has no pretention whatsoever. The chairs / tables are spartan and space is small even though it opens up to the street. The kitchen is open so you can see the cook prepare the pizza from dough until it's tossed inside the wood-burning brick oven. Preparation is meticulous and detailed. This is joint is the closest thing to a neighborhood hangout.
They have a vegetarian offering but best to order in advance so they can source the veggies. They serve traditional pizza offerings but also some specialties like Creamy Carbonara with Chicken pizza - kinda like a mix-match of their viand meals made to top a pizza. Great try!
"Agent Orange" Pizza
Since I'm acquainted with the owner, I rolled-up my sleeve for my Agent Orange - a carrot overload pizza. I grate a carrot on top of the pizza before the cheese topping - this way, the carrot isn't too cooked. When the pizza is done, I add another layer of freshly grated carrot. For added flavor, I would add a sprinkling of grated turmeric and ginger. That's what I love about pizza - you can throw anything on it!
Smores is a Canadian campfire roasting of marshmallows and chocolate on Graham crackers - it's to die for! I was on a roll. Next, I offered to prepare traditional smores to the staff - and we did. But then, I was thinking, intead of Graham crackers, why not use a pizza dough instead, put the marshmallows and chocolate on top and put the entire thing into the wood-fired oven? And we did! It took a few trys to perfect the dessert offering. Hey, maybe you see it on the menu next time.
Villagio's is a good chill out place for friends looking for great pizza, laid back atmosphere and good conversation. You might have to travel a great distance to find another pizza joint with a wood-burning oven serving cold Cerveza Negra. Stop by for treat if you're in Loboc!
--- Gigit (TheLoneRider)
YOGA by Gigit | Learn English | Travel like a Nomad | Donation Bank
Leave a comment?
Reader Comments:Kins Appears
(Oct 21, 2017) negra!
(Oct 21, 2017) (coming to Loboc)....very soon
(Oct 21, 2017) I must admit, I am addicted to ur posts! I am a pizza-lover but most of all, I am a Loboc-lover!
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Jason, Max and Elizabeth Pizza Nite Jul 28, 2022
- Tom, Chunyah and Simona Pizza Nite Jun 23, 2022
- Yoga Class Pizza Nite Jun 15, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Jerry, Paolo and Abby Apr 9, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Aida and Sophie Mar 14, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Kevin, Jamie and Kris Mar 10, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Kris, Simona and Mary Feb 15, 2022
- Pizza Nite with the Chiang Mai Boyz Feb 6, 2022
- Pizza Nite with Simona and Lisa Dec 28, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Simona and Nat Nov 11, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Nut, Monika and Yuki Sep 27, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Nut, Simona and Malee Sep 23, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Jackson, Goi and Paapu Sep 6, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Tom, Chunyah and Goi Aug 20, 2021
- Pizza Nite with Moms and Kids Aug 15, 2021
- Pizza Nite + Slack Line + Hammock Jul 23, 2021
- Pizza Nite with James and Nat Jul 19, 2021
- Pizza Brunch with the Yogis July 1, 2021
- Savouring Villagio Pizza Oct 19, 2017
- Pizza-Making Party in Camotes Islands Mar 25, 2017
- Clam Chowder Pizza from Scratch on a Rice Cooker Feb 15, 2017
- Smoked Salmon-Belly Pizza on BBQ Sauce Dec 8, 2015
- Grilled Pizza on the Weber Grill Jan 31, 2011
- Neva's Pizza Apr 28, 2010
- BMK Apizza opens to the Public July 15, 2005
- Pizza Nite with Friends April 10, 2004
- Pizza Nite with the AIM Crew April 4, 2004
- Pizza Nite January 24, 2004
- Pizza Nite with Colleagues November 21, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Hanka, Galia and Jordan Oct 22, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Angele, Julia, Dos Amigos, Dev, Jordan, Galia, Sarah Oct 3, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Tamara, Dev, Jordan and Sarah Aug 8, 2003
- Pizza Nite with the AIM e-Biz Crew Jan 25, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Julia and Chris Jun 8, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Miss Jen and Carrrie Apr 26, 2003
- Pizza Nite with Jen, Emylee, Fr. Gallagher Jan 25, 2003
- Pizza Parteeee with Angele, Amir and da Dos Amigos Crew Apr 6, 2002
Loboc Google Map
Loboc, Bohol, Philippines
Bohol Travel Info/Tips
Bohol FYI / Tips
- the tourist area where most of the hotels, restaurants, ticket offices, tour operators are, is located within the Alona Beach area
- the tourist attractions in Bohol are far apart and spread-out. It would be difficult to visit them all using public mass transit. Better hire a van (P3500/day) if in a big group, or rent a motorcycle (P400/day + gas)
- Bohol relies on its tourism for revenue. As expected, everything they can capitalize on from tourism is extensively used and developed
Tagbilaran Port to PanglaoYou can charter any tricycle from the port all the way to Panglao (~P300), but if you want to do it on the cheap,
- don't take the tricycles lined-up inside the port. Walk past the port gate and immediately outside, you'll see many tricycles. Take one to the bus terminal in Dao (~P15)
- in Dao, take the jeep that plies the Panglao route (~P20)
Tagbilaran (Bohol) to Cebu City by boat** schedules and rates keep changing, call for latest schedule
- Weesam Express - departs 6:15 AM, 11:30 AM, 4:00 PM
one way: Economy (aircon) P500.00, Economy (non-aircon) P400.00, First Class P600.00
round trip promo (at least 2 days advance booking): Economy (aircon) P600, Economy(non-aircon) P500, First Class P1200
round trip promo (1 day or on the day booking): Economy (aircon) P800, Economy (non-aircon) P700, First Class P1200
- Ocean Jet - departs 6-7:05-8:20-9:20-11:40AM, 1-2-3:30-4:20-5:30-6:30PM, 2 hours, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
Open Air / Tourist Class P800, Business Class P1000
+63(32)255 7560 / +63 (32) 255 0115 / 0917 638 0000
- SuperCat (2GO) - departs 5:50-11AM, 3:45-5:25-8:15PM, arrives Pier 1 in Cebu
+63 32 233 7000
Things to do, Places to go in Bohol
- Chocolate Hills - this is a clustering of more than 1200 hills within a 50km2 area. They range in height from 30-50 meters. What's unusual is their near-perfect conical shape resembling an individual chocolate chip. No one knows how they were formed. Entrance is P50/pax.
- Tarsier Conservation Area - located Upper Bonbon, Loboc. The tarsiers are no longer being played at by tourists as circus props, but instead, visitors now view them in cordoned-off areas in their natural 6ha habitat. As they are territorial and nocturnal, they are predictable on where they can be viewed. P50/pax.
- Alona Beach (Panglao) - Alona Beach is the tourist hub of Bohol. It has 1.5 kms of white sand beach lined-up by bars, hotels and restos. Alona is also the jump-off point for Balicasag Island, a world class dive destination.
- Danao Adventure Park - located in Barangay Magtangtang, 72 kms (2 hours ride) from Tagbilaran. Adventure activities include river trekking, tyrolean traverse, rappelling, bouldering, rock climbing and ziplining.
»» next story:
The Ride to the Old Spanish Tower
»» next Pizza story: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
»» next Restaurant Review: Pad Thai at Thip Samai, Bangkok
»» back to Food Odyssey
»» back to Homepage
1970 | 1973 | 1975 | 1976 | 1979 | 1981 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | ALL BLOGS